In order to deal effectively with the global epidemic – obesity, it is necessary to understand all causes of this disease. Given the causes of weight gain, it is possible to determine the risk groups of developing obesity:
- People whose close relatives (or at least one of the parents) have or had overweight or obese.
One of the medical studies conducted by scientists has revealed a clear association between obesity in biological parents and overweight in adopted children (adoption took place before the age of 5 years).
- People who quit smoking;
- People who reduced the level of physical activity for various reasons;
- People of different ages with increased insulin resistance;
- Pregnant women and women within 1-3 years after giving birth;
- People with harmful eating habits (e.g., a large consumption of sweets);
- Athletes who have stopped active workouts;
- People of certain occupations (e.g., bakers, cooks, etc.).
- Servicemen transferred to the reserve;
- Patients with certain pathologies associated with obesity.
- Patients after severe surgery or trauma, or suffering from severe pathologies are forced to limit physical activity for a long time;
- People using medicines for a long time.
Unfortunately, a high level of medical service, frequent use of various drugs contributes to the reduction of physical activity and weight gain. These drugs are as follows: antidepressants, hormonal contraceptives, anticonvulsants, antihistamines, and hypoglycemic.
Increase in the number of obese patients is associated with pathology of endocrine system, eating disorders, environmental factors and genetic predisposition.
Undoubtedly, the causes of obesity are also caused by socio-economic factors – unemployment, family status, level of education, professional affiliation, as well as features of modern lifestyle, such as:
- Alcohol abuse and smoking;
- low and irregular physical activity;
- Overeating high-calorie food, a large amount of fats in the diet and fast food;
- A number of social and behavioral factors (widespread use of remote control home appliances, mobile phones, elevators), and others.